Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Zebra Painted Rug

Here's another project for my Safari room. I wanted an animal print rug but couldn't find any I thought were reasonably priced so decided to make one:)
First I found this black 5x7 rug at walmart.
I used some regular old indoor wall paint I had.
I used a foam brush, a firm bristle brush and a small painting brush.
They all came in handy for different areas.




I knew I didn't want to totally attempt free handing it completely so I used a white crayon and drew my stripes then painted in the lines. Oh also I wanted to have a bit of a black border so I put scotch tape all around it, 5 inches in from the edge.



After the first coat it looked good but didn't stand out as much as I'd hoped. This pic makes it look way better than it actually did. It was actually really light covered stripes, more grayish.



So I did a second coat and thanks to my hubby, he did the majority of the second coat:)
Then we pulled of the tape and tada! Beautiful zebra rug all for only $20 to compare the price for you the rug I had my eye on was $55!

You might wonder how this is feel wise, you can defiantly tell the difference in feeling but its not noticeable. As far as cleaning you can just vacuum it like a normal rug.

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I am going to do this for a cow rug! I am doing my baby nursery in cowboy theme :) This really helped me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOHhhhhh, cow rug!!! That's gunna be adorable!!!! I love the cowboy theme:) That's going to be so cute!!!

      Delete
  2. I actually bought a rug at Walmart earlier lol! I am beginning on this project soon! I just hope mine turns out cute like yours did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You're like me, soon as I find a project I want to do I run out and get the stuff ASAP! I bet it will be so adorable when it's done! I love the idea of a cow rug, ever since I read you were doing one I've been trying to figure out where in my house I could place a cow rug, lol! I NEED one now!

      Delete
  3. Picturing the end result of a project is my favorite part! LOL! I have no patience whatsoever! I have to get the stuff right then! Well, what if everyone in the world decided to make a cow rug at the same time? There would be no rugs left to paint before the baby gets here! LOL! Devestation...that is how my mind works btw! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao!!! Sounds like our minds think alike! Cause when I come up with somethin I know for sure the store is gunna be sold out! Even if I have 4 Walmarts to choose from, their for sure ALL going to be out of stock!

      Delete
  4. Hey there! I was wondering.... I have just noticed that the rug I bought from Walmart has long carpet fibers,lol. Is this going to still work? I don't want to mess it up :( lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh crap! Hmmmm, I think it would but only bad side is I could see you having to do LOTS of coats. With mine being short fibered I still had to do three coats(I think it was) and I kinda had wished I had done more. And I think your lines might not be as sharp but that might be kinda cool cause it'll give it an animal hair kinda look, that'd be pretty cool! So I don't know, I'd almost suggest exchanging it for a short fiber one cause that will be more of a sure thing, if you can return it, but if you feel up to trying it with the long one I think if you have the patience(I wouldn't,haha!) it would turn out pretty cool! Then if you don't like it you could get a short one and do it. That's kinda a lot of work and money in my opinion so it just depends on how much you want to put into it. I think personally I'd probably do the short one then later down the road if I feel like tempting the long fiber one I'd try it. I hope this helps!!! Let me know what you decide:)

      Delete
  5. I think I might tempt it! lol! I don't know if they will take it back because I have already unrolled it, and lost the reciept! I will let you know how it goes, but if its a fail, I will def. try it with a shorter fiber rug! :) I am kinda nervous about it though lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's to bad! Course Walmart always seems to be really good about taking basically everything back, lol! Don't be nervous!!! It's really easy, I was nervous before I started then once I started I realized it's super easy, oh and if you mess up, it's really easy to fix! Either just paint a bigger spot or take a wet rag to it. I don't know how the rag will do with the long fibers but I'm sure just fine though. :)

      Delete