Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Dr. Seuss Themed Party!!

 
I'm already planning on being one of those mothers who throws ridiculously over the top (yet cheap) parties. With that little disclosure, here's my son's first birthday party....
 
 
 Dr. Seuss themed parties are not very common so it's a little hard to find party supplies so I had to come up with creative ideas...
 
 
 
For table decorations I took yellow and green deco mesh and made little Seuss-esk puff balls. All I did was take Styrofoam and staple and poof, staple and poof! I figured they didn't need to be uniform or perfect, that's the beauty of Dr. Seuss, the stranger the better!
 

I made his cake the day before the party, I wish I had gotten an inside pic of the cake, I made it so there were polka dots inside it! Super cute and easy! I had never used fondant before so of course I must go all out and have my first time be trying to create Dr. Seuss characters, took a while but I got it figured out. I also put sweedish fish on the cake... one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish ;)
 

 
Super cheap and easy decoration idea: I went to Google images and printed the book cover art to several of my favorite Seuss books and quotes. We have a photo printer so I just used 8x10 photo paper and they turned out great! Then pinned the photos to a string with mini clothes pins. I hung them above each doorway and a string across the living room. They were extremely simple yet really dressed up the party!







 
We have a large living room so I decided that would be the "main" room. On one wall I hung two of those cheap plastic tablecloths you can get then throw away. Then I quickly hand painted (the night before) a truffula tree scene. I also laid another tablecloth out to protect the carpet under the highchair. I used a red tablecloth to wrap around his chair to minimize on cleaning too.
 



We had just gotten a new dishwasher a few months before the party so I took large pieces from the box and painted these life size Cat in the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2. It's amazing what you can do with cardboard! For those of you thinking, I can't paint, yes you can! It's only cardboard, who cares if you mess up! Just go for it! Or find a friend that loves to paint and have them do it (cough, cough, me!)
 
 
This is the front door where all the party guests entered, I wrapped the door in an orange tablecloth then cut out of yellow craft paper the mustache, eyebrows, and eyes.
 
I wish I had been better about taking photos of everything but I suppose I was a little busy. For his party invitations I went online and found a free printable for Dr. Seuss themed invites. For party snacks I had bowls of Sweedish Fish, and watermelon "bowls" full of colorful fruit.  I used colorful paper plates and colorful solo cups. I figured above all just make sure it's colorful and fun! Hope this helps give you ideas for your next party you plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment