Monday, May 7, 2012

Quick little touch to Safari room :)

This is just a small one but I thought I'd add it anyway...

Of course for my Safari baby room I want as many animal print touches as possible!
I used our light switch cover and painted it Giraffe print:)
All I did was just take the light switch cover off, wash it off good. Took some regular brown paint I had and just did a Giraffe print as best I could. I had to do a couple coats cause the paint doesn't like to stick to good to the light switch plate. Oh and I made sure to paint my screws that hold the plate to the wall. Easy and quick little touch to the room:)

Thursday, May 3, 2012

My rocking chair, or should I say bed for the next few months;)

Ok this may just possibly be the last project for Baby Pfaff's room, but who knows I still might come up with more;)

My hubby's parents gave us a rocking chair that was actually given to his mommy by her parents when she was pregnant with her first child:)

Now of course I don't find anything wrong with this chair, it is in excellent shape and to be honest even though the pattern is old fashion I actually do love it because it reminds me of an old rocking chair my Grandparents had that I loved when I was little, but it unfortunately does not match his room at all. Well unless you consider the green shag carpet;) but that's mostly covered.

So I took it upon myself to make a cover for it, of course I want to be able to remove the cover for cleaning...





 I found this Zebra pattern material at Walmart, it's almost 2 yards worth for just over $2!
Then I bought a Sheet from Walmart, twin size flat one that's black for $5
which I ended up only using a little under half of it so I still have left over for more projects:)




I laid out my sheet then placed the cushion on top of it...



Then placed the Zebra pattern upside down on top of it then cut so there was about 2 inches of extras around it...


Here's the materials all cut and ready to be pinned...



 I forgot to take pics of this part so this is the end result, I used some of the extra material, about 2ish inches and sewed it together(inside out) then rolled the material inside out so the seam is on the inside, this will be used to loop around the chair to hold the cushion to the frame. For this chair I made two of them.





I took the two stripes I made above and carefully pinned them into the corners they go. When I pinned them I made sure NOT to pin the cushion, later I pull the cushion out so I didn't want problems down the road:)





Ok here's where I pin the material, making sure to try and go with the flow of the cushion, these cushions are kinda wavy. I made sure to only pin the Zebra material to the black sheet, not pinning to the cushion because I pull the cushion out.




Then I traced with my marker along the cushion line just to make sure I had the waves right... Course even my marker job wasn't great but it gave me a good idea of the pattern...





Again I skipped a step of pics, I carefully pulled the cushion out of the materials, carefully! Then I sewed along the black line, roughly:)





Then after I've sewn around three edges, made sure to leave the bottom open, I cut the remaining material off.


Then turn it inside out and tuck the bottom in!
This is the top cushion...see my lil tabs...



Here's the bottom cushion...Bottom part isn't all the way tucked in this pic...



And here's the chair all done:)


Now I happen to have a foot stool I can use with this, if I feel like it I will make a Zebra cover for it:)



Update:
Made the cover for my foot stool:) All I did was cut the material to fit then stapled it underneath. I was going to do elastic in the corners and just wrap it around but I didn't feel like it:) So I just stapled!